Hope you all are having a great day!
So, last week, when I was grocery shopping at Aldi’s, I bought a head of cauliflower. I had a few ideas of what I wanted to do with it, but nothing was set in stone. So, today I decided to use it up. I tried my hand at making Cauliflower Fried Rice. Check it out!
Here’s the recipe I used from Recipe Critic:
- 1 head of cauliflower, (about 2½ cups chopped in a food processor)
- 2 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce (more or less to taste)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions (optional)
- Rinse and chop the cauliflower into florets and put into a food processor. (If you don’t have a food processor continue to chop the cauliflower into tiny pieces.) Pulse until the cauliflower until it is small and resembles rice.
- Preheat a large skillet or wok to medium heat. Pour sesame oil in the bottom. Add white onion and peas and carrots and fry until tender.
- Slide the onion, peas and carrots to the side, and pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs. Once cooked, mix the eggs with the vegetable mix.
- Add the cauliflower to the veggie and egg mixture. Pour the soy sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and cauliflower is tender. Add chopped green onions if desired.
That’s it! It was really easy! When I made this, I didn’t have any sesame oil, white onion, frozen peas, or green onions. I prepare for recipes really well – can’t you tell! 🙂
Even though I didn’t have these ingredients, it still worked pretty well!
Since, I didn’t have frozen peas, I used frozen green beans, which totally worked instead of the peas.
I love finding ways to use veggies and making them into a delicious dish. I have also tried making a cauliflower pizza, which is REALLY good! Healthy pizza? Yes, please!
I will definitely have to do that next time!
So, you’re probably wondering if it tasted like the fried rice you get at your local Chinese restaurant…
It obviously wasn’t exactly the same.
If your not a fan of cauliflower, I definitely recommend you try this dish or the cauliflower pizza! The flavors used in the dish come together to make a yummy meal, so you don’t really taste the cauliflower.
Also, I only had carrot sticks when making this dish. I sliced them and when I put them in the pan with green beans they did get softer but not as soft as I would’ve liked. This also happened with the cauliflower slightly.
I probably could’ve just left them in the pan a tad longer, but I was getting hungry.
I think I would like to try the sesame oil next time and see if that changes the flavor slightly.
I felt like I kept adding soy sauce to the pan to finally get the color and taste I was looking for.
Overall, I really liked it! This is a great recipe to try if you love Chinese food!
This is such a great healthy twist to a usually unhealthy dish!
Let me know if you try it!
Have a lovely rest of your day!